By pairing tangy, smoky flank steak with creamy hunks of grilled avocado and a spicy salsa in a wholesome recipe will be something you’ll find deliciously amazing!
This easy dish is ready for the table in under 30 minutes for an ultimate, tasty meal! Flank steak proves ideal for cubing into steak bites and grilling.
How to Make the Perfect Zesty Steak Rub
The zesty rub is a combination of lime juice and zest with smoky cumin and chili powder. They come together to make a paste that sticks to each piece of steak.
The rub doesn’t need to marinate on the steak before grilling, but it can be applied and refrigerated for up to six hours before grilling time.
Why Should You Grill the Avocado?
Grilled avocado takes this typically chilled fruit to new levels, with grill marks that seal in smoky flavor in every bite. It’s restaurant-worthy goodness.
The avocados are quartered for easy serving and grilling – you can rest assured that a perfectly ripe avocado quarter will not fall apart on the grill. A hot cast-iron grill pan is essential to achieving the grilled look and taste indoors.
Helpful Tips to Get You Started:
- Search for the perfect avocado: You’ll need avocados that are ripe but not too soft so that they can hold up to the heat.
- Try different cuts: You can use hanger or skirt steak if you can’t find flank.
- Plan ahead: The salsa can be made up to 24 hours in advance.
Tools you will need:
- Small mixing bowl
- Medium mixing bowl
- Medium cast iron grill pan
By the way, you can also find over 200 more amazing, easy to make, healthy recipes in my book entitled: Get Your Lean On – A simple, sensible yet scientific WEIGHT LOSS SOLUTION … Get Your Copy Here
For the Salsa:
1 cup finely chopped tomato
1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1 Tbsp. lime juice
1/4 tsp. sea salt
For the Steak and Avocado:
2 ripe avocados
1 lb. flank steak, sliced into 2-inch pieces
2 Tbsp. avocado oil, divided
2 Tbsp. lime juice
1 tsp. lime zest
1 tsp. chili powder
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
1. Stir together the ingredients for the salsa in a small mixing bowl. Refrigerate while preparing the steak bites.
2. Stir together the lime juice, lime zest, chili powder, cumin, sea salt, and black pepper in a medium mixing bowl to form a paste. Add pieces of steak, using your hands to coat.
3.Melt the butter or ghee in a skillet over medium heat for 2 minutes and add 6 to 8 meatballs into the pan.
4. Heat a medium cast-iron grill pan over medium-high heat for 3 minutes. Grease with one tablespoon of avocado oil. Add steak to pan and cook for 6 minutes, turning halfway through.
5. While the steak cooks, slice the avocados in half lengthwise and remove the pit. Remove the skin and quarter the avocados. Brush avocados with remaining avocado oil on all sides.
6. Remove the steak from pan and set it aside on a plate tented with aluminum foil. Grill avocado slices for 8 minutes, turning halfway through.
Serve hot alongside steak bites and salsa.
The Skinny Per Serving:
- Calories 395
- Protein 26g
- Fat 27g
- Carbs 12g
- Fiber 6g